Sunday, February 7, 2021

Meditation for the Grieving

Prayer with Clare of Assissi for the Grieving


I am walking with two saints right now.  Clare and Teresa.  
I have been reading and praying with them for about two months.  As I read these books together, I invite these women to pray with me and teach me.  They are my new friends.  I am going to pull what I learned today from Clare's "Meditation 12".  But first I would like to introduce you to her (in case you do not know her).  You are welcome into our friend group.  I see this as a group of girls that become great companions, but then, I do not want to leave the boys out.  So, if you are led to join this spiritual friend group- please make yourself comfortable and settle in.

Meditation 12

Meditation 12 is on Separation and Loss.  Most of us have experienced some type of separation and many of us have grieved a loss of a dear one. 


Clare suffered many separations.
  • she left a noble status (her own choice)
  • she was separated from her dear sister whom she adored
  • St. Francis was a very close friend and he died many years before she did

Clare realized that she had to use all of her resources to know God better- even grief.  She was a person who broke new ground for women.  What was always expected for her by culture or the church would be changed forever.  The world was shifting as the medieval bend in the road appeared as the 1200s came into view.  Clare had 5 popes during her lifetime.  The gap between the noble and the poor created a new middle class.  Politics were causing dangerous situations throughout the world, and also in the Church. 

Saint Francis received a message to repair God's Church and was led to meet with Clare.  She had a reputation for holiness.  She eventually escaped her noble family and joined St. Francis' brothers with a small group of women who followed her.  They became known as "The Poor Ladies".

There is so much more to explore about Clare, but for this conversation, we will focus on her help with Grieving.  Please join me in prayer by click on Guided Prayer and Meditation (15 min.)


"May you go forward securely, joyfully, and swiftly, on the path of prudent happiness, not believing anything that would dissuade you for this resolution or that would place a stumbling block for you on the way, so that you may offer your vows to the Most High in the pursuit of that perfection to which the Spirit of the Lord has called you."
- Second Letter to Agnes of Prague 13-14 (2LAg 13-14)
(Agnes is Clare's sister)

No comments:

Post a Comment